Week 9 of the 2023 NFL season kicked off with a surprising victory for the Pittsburgh Steelers over the Tennessee Titans. Steelers wide receiver Diontae Johnson ended his streak of 119 consecutive catches without a touchdown by catching the game-winning touchdown pass from quarterback Kenny Pickett. This victory also made the Steelers the first team in the Super Bowl Era to have a winning record despite being out-gained in each of their first eight games of the season.
Looking ahead to the rest of Week 9, here are five bold predictions:
1. Lamar Jackson will have a standout performance against the Seattle Seahawks’ dominant defense. Despite the Seahawks’ impressive defensive stats, Jackson’s unique playing style and success against the NFC make him a formidable opponent. Jackson’s efficient passing and rushing abilities will lead to a strong outing against the Seahawks.
2. The Minnesota Vikings will win their first game without Kirk Cousins since the “Minneapolis Miracle” in January 2018. Losing Cousins to a season-ending injury is a significant blow for the Vikings, but rookie quarterback Jaren Hall will step up and lead the team to victory against the Atlanta Falcons. Hall’s connection with wide receiver Jordan Addison, who has been impressive this season, will be a key factor in the Vikings’ success.
3. The Indianapolis Colts will snap their seven-game losing streak against NFC teams by defeating the Carolina Panthers. Running back Jonathan Taylor’s recent performances and the Panthers’ struggles against the run make this prediction likely. Taylor’s rushing abilities will be instrumental in ending both the Colts’ losing streak and their winless streak against NFC teams.
4. The Dallas Cowboys’ defense will hold A.J. Brown of the Tennessee Titans to under 125 receiving yards, ending his historic streak. Brown has been on a remarkable streak of six consecutive games with 125 or more receiving yards, but the Cowboys’ strong cornerback duo of DaRon Bland and Stephon Gilmore will limit his production. Bland and Gilmore’s impressive defensive stats and their ability to shut down opposing receivers will be key in containing Brown.
5. Raiders rookie quarterback Aidan O’Connell will connect with wide receiver Davante Adams for multiple passes of 20+ yards. Despite the turmoil within the Raiders organization, O’Connell will find success in getting Adams involved in the offense. Adams’ talent and O’Connell’s ability to deliver accurate deep passes will result in big plays for the Raiders.
As the NFL season continues, these bold predictions add excitement and intrigue to the upcoming Week 9 matchups. Fans will be eagerly watching to see if these predictions come true or if there will be more surprises in store.Week 9 of the 2023 NFL season kicked off with an exciting matchup between the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Tennessee Titans. The Steelers emerged victorious with a 20-16 win, but it was wide receiver Diontae Johnson who stole the show. Johnson ended his streak of 119 consecutive catches without a touchdown, the second-longest streak by a wide receiver in NFL history. He caught the game-winning three-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Kenny Pickett with just over four minutes left to play.
This victory was significant for the Steelers as it improved their record to 5-3. What makes this achievement even more impressive is that the Steelers became the first team in the Super Bowl Era, since 1966, to have a winning record despite being out-gained in each of their first eight games of a season.
Looking ahead to the rest of Week 9, here are five bold predictions for the upcoming slate of games.
Lamar Jackson, the dynamic quarterback for the Baltimore Ravens, is set to face the Seattle Seahawks and their dominant defense. The Seahawks have been the best defense in the NFL since Week 4, leading in points allowed, yards per play allowed, and team sacks. However, Jackson’s exceptional skills and track record against the NFC make him a formidable opponent. With a 17-1 record against the NFC, Jackson has the best win percentage against the opposing conference in NFL history. Expect Jackson to light up the Seahawks’ defense and lead the Ravens to victory.
The Minnesota Vikings will face the Atlanta Falcons without their star quarterback Kirk Cousins, who suffered a season-ending torn Achilles. Losing Cousins is a massive blow for the Vikings, as he was playing at a top-five level among quarterbacks. However, the Vikings have shown resilience in recent weeks, winning four of their last five games. Even without Cousins, rookie quarterback Jaren Hall will step up and lead