49ers Face Tough Challenge Against Jaguars After Three Consecutive Losses
After an impressive start to the season with five consecutive victories, the San Francisco 49ers have hit a rough patch, losing three games in a row. As they come out of their bye week, they face a daunting task against the Jacksonville Jaguars, who are currently on a five-game win streak with a 6-2 record.
The 49ers’ head coach, Kyle Shanahan, acknowledges the importance of this game, especially after their recent struggles. He emphasizes that every week is crucial, but when you’ve lost three in a row, it becomes even more significant. Shanahan states, “It’s always a one-week season, and it’s not about going on a run or anything like that. It’s about trying to beat a really good football team this week.”
The 49ers have been dealing with issues on both sides of the ball. Their defense has not lived up to expectations, and their offense has struggled to score points in their recent losses, only managing 17 points in each game.
As they prepare to face the Jaguars, here are five key players to watch for the 49ers in Week 10:
5. Safety Talanoa Hufanga: Hufanga needs to step up and make game-changing plays for the 49ers. With the Jaguars relying heavily on versatile running back Travis Etienne, Hufanga can set the tone for the game with a big hit early on.
4. Running back Christian McCaffrey: McCaffrey has been the focal point of the 49ers’ offense, leading all NFL running backs in yards from scrimmage and rushing yards. However, he has struggled to find running lanes in recent weeks. With Deebo Samuel returning from injury, McCaffrey may find more opportunities as a runner and receiver.
3. Nickel back Isaiah Oliver: Oliver has been targeted by opposing teams, and the Jaguars’ slot receiver, Christian Kirk, is among the top three in the NFL. Oliver has struggled in coverage, surrendering completions and touchdowns. He needs to improve his pass coverage to prevent the Jaguars from converting on third downs.
2. Quarterback Brock Purdy: Purdy had a rough stretch with six turnovers in the past three games. However, he has had a strong season overall, ranking first in the league in average yards per pass attempt. Purdy needs to put together a complete game and continue his impressive performance as the 49ers’ starter.
1. Defensive end Chase Young: The 49ers quickly made Young a starter after acquiring him. He has shown promise, averaging a high number of snaps and recording